That is one of the sections on Chris Guillebeau's World Domination Report, something I read from time to time to keep me charged and focussed. He is the author of The Art of Non-conformity, one of my all time fave books, I have it on my desk all the time. And clearly I am not what the title of this post is as can be observed below:
1. Accept what people tell you at face value - I am a sceptic, very hard for me to take anything you say at face value.
2. Don't question authority - Another one I have trouble with all the time.
3. Go to college because you are supposed to not because you want to learn something - Ended up having to do that as I lived with my parents at that time and that's what I had to do, but have not studied further since. and in my case, college was a waste of my time.
4. Go overseas once or twice in your life, to somewhere safe like England - been overseas multiple times with family and it was never England.
5. Don't try to learn another language, everyone else will eventually learn English - Grew up speaking English, Hindi, Tamil, Urdu, now learning French and eventually would like to learn Arabic and American Sign Language.
6. Think about starting your own business but never do it - Been there, done that. Had my business Ideas Are Us selling eco-friendly products from India since 2008, now winding down the operation a bit to focus on my business of writing and editing.
7. Think about writing a book but never do it - Already on this journey so there is no turning back.
8. Get the largest mortgage you qualify for and spend 30 years paying for it - No mortgages to report, whew!
9. Sit at a desk 40 hours a week for an average of 10 hours of productive work - I work from home for 20-30 hours a week on average and its all good productive work, even if I say so myself.
10. Don't stand out or draw attention to yourself - Sometimes yes and sometimes no.
11. Jump through hoops, check off boxes - Wait...what hoops? What boxes?
Check out his book and website here!